Saturday, May 23, 2026
HomeNewsWhy Tinubu Govt Couldn’t Fulfill Promise Of 6,000 MW Of Electricity –...

Why Tinubu Govt Couldn’t Fulfill Promise Of 6,000 MW Of Electricity – Power Minister

The Miniter of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has blamed the activities of vandals for the inability of the administration of President Bola Tinubu to actualize its promise to generate 6,000 megawatts of electricity by December 2024.

He, however, added that despite the inability to fulfill the promise, the current administration has made significant progress in the delivery of electricity to Nigerians.

The Minister, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Strategic Communication and Media Relations, Bolaji Tunji, said approximately 1,000 megawatts had been added since the current administration took office.

Adelabu noted that despite the hindrances, the plan to achieve 6,000 MW of electricity and upgrade power generation remains a priority for the current administration.

Zinari News understands the current power generation in Nigeria ranges between 4,000 MW and 4,900 MW from 19 power generation plants.

Speaking in an interview with Punch on Sunday, the special adviser said: “If you look at the situation when the current administration took over, the generation was just about 4,000 megawatts. However, within a year, about 1,000 megawatts were added. By November 27, we again reached a target of 5,231 megawatts. Indeed, a promise of 6,000 megawatts was made, and with what we were doing, we felt it was achievable. Unfortunately, the work of vandals set us back a bit. We are not resting on our oars to ensure additional supply to the grid.”

Tunji also highlighted the issue of cash backing for subsidy payment as another major challenge in the power sector. According to him, only N450bn was budgeted for the current year, while the debt incurred for subsidy payments amounted to N2.3tn.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments